Tuesday 21 November 2023

Tips tricks and techniques Tuesday Saint Nicholas

 Lots of stamps come with coordinating dies these days and the Saint Nicholas stamps are no different. The dies cut out not only the stamped images but also  fun scene building elements, more of those later this week 😉. But they also contain dies that cut piece that are just for decoration. 

Saint Nicholas stampin up stamps and dies

There was one piece that caught my eye.. the elegant scroll detail intricate die, bottom left of the die images above. The reason it caught my eye was because I straight away though ohhh what a lovely mask (stencil) that would make.

So I made it into a mask! I die cut it from a piece of scrap vellum. Vellum works well for this type of mask as it' a fairly non porous material .

So off I went to gather my surplies cardstock, ink, blending brush, stamp and of course my mask (stencil).

Saint Nicholas stampin up make your own stencil mask Christmas card
 
I randomly placed the mask (stencil) over the cardstock panel and blended ink through it. I then took the large sentiment stamp from the set and stamped it randomly over the panel as well. I used not only the first impression but the second and third as well to create various tones of the same colour. Next I blended the same ink around the edges of the panel to soften the edges.

Saint Nicholas stampin up make your own stencil mask Christmas card

Once finished I wiped my mask (stencil)  clean with a piece of kitchen roll and gathered the materials needed for stage two.

For this step I used another cardstock panel, embossing paste ,  paste tools and a wet cloth along with my mask (stencil) 

Saint Nicholas stampin up make your own stencil mask Christmas card

I positioned the mask randonly in opposite corners of the panel and swiped the paste through the mask. I wanted to create some random texture on the cardstock .

Saint Nicholas stampin up make your own stencil mask Christmas card

Top tip make sure you wipe your tool clean immediately once your finished as the paste will dry quickly and ruin your tools. If you want to save your mask you must clean that immediately too. 

So there are the components of my card except the sentiment which I heat embossed with white embossing powder onto a vellum strip.

And here is the finished card.

Saint Nicholas stampin up make your own stencil mask Christmas card

The card mats are all adhered using 3d foam. 

Saint Nicholas stampin up make your own stencil mask Christmas card

I popped a small piece of boho blue cardstock behind the vellum of the sentiment so that it was more visible. 

Saint Nicholas stampin up make your own stencil mask Christmas card

I love this modern take on a vintage style isn't colour amazing!


No comments:

Post a Comment