Wednesday 11 May 2022

Watercolour Wednesday Let's Set Sail

 Today's watercolour inspiration was a little messy in the making but I was so happy with the end result that it was well worth it!! I wanted to create a water like effect for my boat from the Sailboat builder punch  that coordinates with Let's Set Sail stamp. ( it is available as a Bundle with a 10% discount!) 

I started with reinkers,  cling film, water spritzer and cardstock.  First I scrunched up my cling film then gently spread it apart. Next I carefully dripped drops of reinker onto the cling film. I chose to use 2 shades of blue from the 2022-24 In-Colors Tahitian Tide and Starry Sky. 

Let's set sail stampin up watercolour cling film technique card

Then it was time to get messy by spritzing the cling film with water..  quite a bit of water... so that the ink moves around

Lets set sail stampin up watercolour cling film technique card

Now it's  time to place your cardstock ontop of the cling film and quickly flip it over so that the cling film is on top. Use your fingers to carefully squish the ink around but not so much that it becomes a mucky colour. At the same time make sure to keep the scrunched up effect of thw cling film.

Lets set sail stampin up watercolour cling film technique card

Now the hard part... waiting for it to dry!! You want to leave it to dry naturally as this will allow the cling film to add its special effect.
Once dry remove the cling film and admire your handiwork. 

Lets set sail stampin up watercolour cling film technique card

Here is a close up of the beautiful delicate veins that the cling film leaves on your work.
Sadly it look far more impressive in real life but anywho here it is.

Lets set sail stampin up watercolour cling film technique card

I loved the effect I'd achieved and wanted to keep the rest of my card quite simple. I cut a mat of cardstock and used my Sweet Sorbet ink pad to add colour directly to all 4 sides. I then used a piece of adhesive sheet  to completely add adhesive to the back of the watercolour background. The reason for this is that the cardstock can become quite warped due to the amount of water used. Having a full cover off  adhesive allows it to adhere cleanly and avoid bumps and lumps.

Now it was time to create my sailboat. I punched the pieces out of basic white cardstock.  I then covered the mast and blended colour over the hull of my boat. Next I added colour to the pennant at the top of the mast. Then I covered the hull and pennant and blended a different colour onto the mast.

Now it was time to add some interest to the sails. I decided to stamp one of the sentiments from the Let's Set Sail set over them. I moved the stamp and reinked and stamped again till the sail was covered.

I attached the Sailboat to the background using 3d foam. I  then chose to use the same sentiment  and stamped it directly onto my card.

Lets set sail stampin up watercolour cling film technique card

I love how this project came together.
Lets set sail stampin up watercolour cling film technique card

The rich tones of the colours and the graphic effect on the sails are really appealing to me. 

Lets set sail stampin up watercolour cling film technique card

And as the sentiment say Hope it's your best day ever! 


No comments:

Post a Comment