Wednesday 22 November 2023

Watercolour Wednesday Saint Nicholas

 I dream of being an artist 🎨 paintbrush in hand creating beautiful scenes with ease.... in reality I can't even paint a wall without leaving streaks! But today I have created a watercolour night sky that I'm super proud of! I was inspired by a fellow crafter from Australia called Alisa Tilsner. She created a night sky with blending brushes and ink for a card featuring the Saint Nicholas stamps and dies. I love her card but wanted to see if I could create a night sky with ink and water.

I decided I'd give it a go and try to achieve a "proper " watercolour look by using watercolour paper and a piece of chipboard. I attatched my piece of paper to the chipboard with low tack tape.  This helps the piece lay flat as you use quite a lot of water...

Next I added drops of reinker to a palette and ink directly from the ink pad onto an acrylic block as I don't have a reinker for every colour ( note to self ..buy reinkers!)

Next I loaded my waterpainter with extra water and dipped the tip in the palest colour and added colour to the bottom of the paper. Working my way up and keeping the colours wet I used the mid and dark colours until I got to the top. I then let it dry ( I used a heat tool too impatience 😉)

Saint Nicholas stampin up watercolour night sky Christmas card

Once dry I went back in but this time I added a drop of black reinker into my palette and added a black wash to the top of the panel. I added more of the other colours and blended them down the paper.
I found that by keeping the piece quite wet it was quite easy to get the colours to blend.

Saint Nicholas stampin up watercolour night sky Christmas card

Once I was happy and the piece was dry I splattered the panel with white acrylic paint mixed with a little water. I think it looks like it's snowing at night ..

Saint Nicholas stampin up watercolour night sky Christmas card

I popped the panel still attatched to the chip board to one side and set about creating the other elements for the card .
I used the dies from the Saint Nicholas set and die cut out of black cardstock the parts to make a chimney,  I cut some more black cardstock to creat a roof shape and added some of the die cut brick shapes to it.
I then used white cardstock to die cut the snow line pieces and added them to the roofline and chimney. 
A simple card base, mat and sentiment and I was ready to assemble....

Saint Nicholas stampin up watercolour night sky Christmas card

I dry embossed the mat and blended around the edges with the same colour blue and a little black ink to give the panel definition.
All in all for me a very "artistic" card which I'm very happy with.

Saint Nicholas stampin up watercolour night sky Christmas card



No comments:

Post a Comment