Friday 2 July 2021

Fun Fold Friday - Timeless Tropical

 For my last day this week I've made doubles again! I have no idea why recently I have ended up making more than 1 card at a time but I have had some fun doing them. Timeless Tropical stamp set has inspired me much more than I thought it would. 

Cary and I have been using the stamp set for some of our monthly Zoom classes recently and I personally, have made more cards than I thought could be possible with the one set. 

Anyway, for the last time this week I have made these 2 with similar looks. I believe they are called Arrow or Kite fold cards. Whatever they are, they are the kind of shapes that I like to make a card into. To see the smile on someone's face when they receive a hand crafted card is great. Watch their face when you next give the a card that you've made. There's that lovely reaction from them as they realise that you made it just for them. 

Both of my cards are made from 1 sheet of A4 card. I started by cutting the sheet in half down the whole length. Each piece was scored in half lengthways. I will show you the pink card first.

 

 

 

Card 1:1 on the right

Using the layout of the card on the right, you will have a piece 10.5cm by 29.7cm. Scored at 14.85cm. Mark in pencil at 5.25cm at the bottom edge of the card . Then mark on the lower half of the card only at 5cm and 10cm from the bottom on both outer edges. Using a ruler, trimmer or scoring tool, score from the outer edges of the centre fold to the 5.25cm mark at the bottom and from each of the 5cm and 10cm marks to the 5.25cm mark at the bottom too. All of the lines should meet at the one point, not like mine as the picture shows!! 

1:2

 

If you imagine that you are now looking at the inside, starting with the inner score lines, fold on each of the lines and burnish them really well using a bone folder if you have one. The inner score lines should stand out in a mountain fold, the next lines fold the opposite direction to make a valley fold. The last pair of lines, fold into a mountain fold again. You will have the inside looking something like the picture below.

1:3                                                            1:4

1:3 I have added tape to the panels to help give the flattest point possible. Fold the lines in one at a time and seal them using the tape or glue. 1:4 Shows the fold once it is sealed. I tend to make a triangle to cover this side and use it for an additional message. see below
 
1:5 Inside                                                                                1:6 Front

 To decorate, I use a standard C6 DSP mat of 10cm by 14.4cm. Mark across the bottom edge at 5cm then cut from that mark to both of the corners. 
 1:7
I have used a paper from Pansy Petals Designer Series Papers. The check is the reverse of the floral pattern and I do like to show the reverse too. It only takes the one piece of C6 DSP as the 2 pieces that are cut off are used for the inside edges, as you can see.  Not essential but I cut another white C6 mat in the same way to get another triangle for the centre of the card as shown in 1:9.
1:8                                                           1:9

Card 2

Using the other half piece of Basic White, I made the next card. A little more fiddly as you are scoring across the whole of the card from side to side.  

2:1 Front                                                               2:2 Back

Taking the long card base which was previously scored at 14.85cm in the centre of the card, mark along the centre of the fold at 5.25cm, then on the outer edges on both sides of the fold as shown. The measurement is 7.4cm from each corner of the short edges of the card on all 4 edges. Score from top left corner to bottom right and top right corner to bottom left. Score between the 7.4cm markers on the top left to the bottom right and again from the top right to the bottom left mark. If the measurements are placed correctly, the score lines should all meet at the 5.25cm centre mark as shown in the diagram     2:1

 

Take a piece of spare card 10.5cm long by 6cm wide. Score this at 1cm along each of the long sides and at 3cm in the centre. The centre fold will become a mountain fold and the outer two will be valley folds. This will become the base to stand the card up and hold it together.                     

2:2

 Going back to the main card, burnish all of the scored lines in both directions. Do this really firmly using a bone folder. Once all scoring is done, fold the card in half and push the lower outer edges into the centre as the diagrams below show. You will see that the longest folds will form mountain folds, the next, valley folds. The top centre fold will become a mountain fold and angles downwards as you can see in the pictures. I will always recommend that the original folded card, incuding the measurements, be kept for future use and to show how different ways cards are made. Once I have mastered each card, I then go on to make another as hopefully, I would have learnt the correct way to make them. I have lots of original card shapes as masters and often go back to see what or how something can be made.

           2:3                                                              2:4 

Score the base band as shown and I use tape preferably to join it to the card along the 1cm edges. Fold the band and place on the inside edge of the card so that you can see the angle which will need to be removed before adhering. Trim the band back before fixing it into position. Open the card out but keep it folded in half. Add the taped piece to the inside front and back of the card. It will now stand happily without sliding.  

Decorating. I used the same papers as before with the Pansy Petals DSP for this card but placed them on the card in the reverse order. 

Cut a mat 10cm by 14.4cm and mark the top centre edge at 5cm. Then mark each of the sides as before at 7.4cm from the lower edge. Cut between the centre 5cm and the bottom right 7.4cm and bottom left 7.4cm sides. Then cut between the 5cm point and the bottom corners on each side. You will then have 5 pieces of paper ready to place onto the card. Add the big triangle first then the 2 top outer corners. I reversed the 2 corners on mine to show them both off. Picture 2:5 

The last of the 2 pieces are to be placed onto the 2 centre-side parts on the other side (back) of the card. This is because when the card is in it's folded position they can be seen. See 2:6 and 2:7

2:5                                                                            2:6

 Once the card has been decorated with the papers, fold the sides back into the shape. All it needs now is the finer embellisments and messages.

2:7

 
Well, that's it from me for this week, I hope that I have been able to give you some ideas or inspiration to make some cards for yourself. 
Cary is back next week to show and inspire you with her creations. 
I will return the following week. If you have any ideas or would like to see projects made with a particular stamp set or product, please just drop us a line.
I'll be back for a rest as I have my 17 month old grandson next week!! EEK!!
So until I get back, take care, stay safe and well and 
KEEP ON CRAFTING!!! 
Gill xxxxx  ๐Ÿ˜:)๐Ÿ˜























No comments:

Post a Comment