Wednesday 9 September 2020

Watercolour Wednesday Gnome for the Holidays

 Watercolour doesn't always have to be the star of the show. But they sure can be your perfect base for a fun picture card such as the one I'm made for today's Gnome for the Holidays card. 

So for today's sample I also decided to create a card that was an unusual size. A long narrow one that fits into an envelope that here in the UK we call a DL. The card base is made from a piece of card measuring 21cm x 19.8cm scored at 9.9cm. 

I then decided to create a " scene " card. Now this is really outside my box but sometimes you just have to .....don't you?

So I then took 2 shades of blue reinker and dropped a drop of each onto a silicon mat or acrylic block. Now add a drop or 2 of water to each.  And then on a piece of thick white cardstock gently give it a wash with water and then add the lighter blue at the bottom and top with the other. 

Once the piece is dry I stamped my images in black memento ink. Now some of the areas in the stamped images , particularly the baubles on the trees, had the watercolour wash showing and I didn't want that. So how did I fix that? I used a liquid called Dakin solution and carefully applied it to the areas I wanted to whiten. (You can also use Milton solution I am reliably informed).

I then took my alcohol markers and coloured in my stamped images. Added a few iridescent snowflake embellishments and there you have it. 

So I stepped out of my comfort zone and made a " scene " card and whilst it might not be the best I'm  happy with it 😀 






2 comments: