Thursday 25 November 2021

Throwback Thursday Happy Holly-Days

 What were the first tools you brought when you started your creative journey? One of the first crafting tools I brought was a punch. I loved how it cut things out with no fuss and bother and they aren't too costly.  Both things that matter when you first start out. The punch I'm using on todays project is one that coordinates with the Happy Holly-Days stamp set and is called Holly Border punch.

Holly Border punch stampin up Christmas card

This punch is so versatile.  You can punch out a continuous piece,  you can use the negative as well as the positive and you can also do what I did for this piece and use it in specific areas. Another nice thing about this that if you purchase it with the coordinating stamps as a Bundle you save 10%! 

The other thing that I enjoy about using punches is that you can use inlay techniques. For my project today I punched some from a bright red cardstock called poppy parade. I then used just the red berries. 

I took a mat of white cardstock and punched just one sprig at each corner. To achieve this I suggest working from the reverse of the punch so that you can see where you're  punching.

I then stamped my sentiment and adhered the mat to a mat of a beautiful rich green cardstock called shaded spruce. Next I inlayed the red berries into the spaces in the punched spaces. I then matted that onto a white mat and placed it onto a shaded spruce card base.

I next stamped the robin onto a piece of white cardstock in memento black ink. To colour my robin I used my Stampin Blends which are alcohol markers. Next I fussy cut him out and adhered him to the front of the card. 

Holly Border punch Stampin Up Christmas card

 For the inside of the card I added a white mat. Then al used some of the white punched holly leaves and red berries to decorate the bottom right hand corner. It isn't particularly visible in the picture but in real life adds a touch of elegance to the project.

Holly Border punch Stampin up Christmas card


All in all a rather traditional card using some older techniques and traditional colour palette. But strangely I think it has quite a clean and contemporary feel to it! Maybe it's the crisp white 🤔 maybe it's the less fussy look 🤔 all I know is that it is a stricking card in its own way and one I'm happy with.

Holly Border punch Stampin up Christmas card


No comments:

Post a Comment