Thursday 14 October 2021

Throwback Thursday Gingerbread and Peppermint suite

 Last night was fab! We held our first in person event!!! It was so nice to actually be in the same room as fellow crafters πŸ˜€ That isn't to say that we're not so very grateful for the technology that has allowed us to keep in touch virtually!! I think that going forward we will be using all different ways to get together and craft.... more ways to craft has got to be good!!! So what have I got to share with you today? Well it's all about the paper today πŸ™‚ not just cardstock but also the Gingerbread and peppermint pattern paper . 

Gingerbread and peppermint dsp stampin up

This 6" x 6" paper pack contains lots of fun patterns in traditional red and green with highlights of white and a lovely toasty shade of brown called cinnamon cider πŸ˜‹ 

The pack also has some sheets that have images that are just calling out to be cut out. The images look like baked and iced gingerbread shapes. And it was this that inspired today's card. 

When you bake you have to leave the biscuits,  cookies, gingerbread to cool on a rack. So I set about creating a rack using cardstock.  The technique that I thought I'd use to create the cooling rack is called paper weaving.  It's how we made trellises and woven backgrounds before the intricate dies made it super simple.

Making a woven background isn't hard and kind of therapeutic.  All you need are strips of cardstock and some repositionable tape or sticky notes. First layout as many strips as you need horizontally with equal distances between them onto the tape. 

Next you take one stip and weave it over and under the horizontal strips vertically. Continue until you have a piece that is the size you need.

Gingerbread and peppermint suite stampin up paper weaving Christmas card

Once I had a piece the size I needed I cut myself 4 frames the size of my rack. I took one of the frames and adhered it over the woven piece. Next it was time to add another frame on the reverse. This sandwiches the woven parts and secures it. 

Paper weaving


Next I trimmed it on all sides and had my cooling rack. And added the other 2 frames on the back of the rack to give it some dimension.  I also used a little ink and blending tool to add a little shading around the edges. 

Paper weaving cookie rack

I then took one of the check papers from the pack and covered the front of my card. I then cut out 2 of the stars and a Christmas tree to be the gingerbread on my cooling rack.

I then chose to stamp my sentiment in versamark and used white embossing powder on cinnamon cider cardstock.  Once heat set and cooled I took a deeper shade of brown called soft suede and "toasted" the edges πŸ˜‹ 

Gingerbread and peppermint suite stampin up fun christmas card

I decorated then inside with a stip of patterned paper and a snowflake gingerbread that I fussy cut out.

Gingerbread and peppermint suite stampin up fun christmas card

I hope you enjoy my scrummy gingerbread christmas card πŸ˜‹

Gingerbread and peppermint suite stampin up fun christmas card


No comments:

Post a Comment