Wednesday 13 October 2021

Watercolour Wednesday Gingerbread and Peppermint suite

 I do like to create backgrounds do you? Maybe it's because they are always unique 🤔 maybe it's because you can create something that is just what you want 🤔 or is it that the randomness of it all? What ever it is making a watercolour background is a fun,if mess , way to start a project or 2. I used the stamps from the Gingerbread and   Peppermint suite called Frosted Gingerbread . 

Frosted gingerbread stampin up watercolour background Christmas card

So to create the background I took a piece of Fluid 100 watercolour paper and spritzed it thoroughly with water. I then chose a watercolour reinker. I chose a lovely shade of blue called pacific point. I dropped the reinker over the watercolour paper and added even more water to get it to move the colour around.

It's great fun watching the colour move around the paper. A few tips from my experience place your work on either scrap paper or kitchen paper or a wipe clean one. Also having kitchen paper to hand can help with those little spills 😉 . Now you can let your work dry naturally or use a heat tool. If you use the heat tool remember not to get too close as you might scorch the paper. Also if you use the heat tool it can push the water around and give your work a different look. 

Next I had to  decided what to do with my gorgeous background.  For my first card I used a large piece and took the bell stamp and heat embossed it in silver all the way up and down . I also stamped some onto the left over background for a later project.


Watercolour techniques Stampin up frosted gingerbread

Next I decided that I wanted to create a coordinating piece of paper to make mats from. I took a piece white cardstock and dabbed versamark all around it , applied silver embossing powder then heated it up.


Gingerbread and peppermint suite stampin up create your own silver paper

So I kept card 1 simple just matted and layer a sentiment and created a simple insert with scraps.
Frosted gingerbread stampin up watercolour background Christmas holiday carf



 I enjoyed it so much I made a second card! But this time I cut the bells out and placed them onto a piece of white cardstock that I had dry embossed to give texture.

Frosted gingerbread stampin up watercolour background Christmas holiday card


I really like the way the colour peeps out behind the detail of the bells.

Frosted gingerbread stampin up watercolour background Christmas holiday card

And as with the first card I created an insert using scraps.

Frosted gingerbread stampin up watercolour background Christmas holiday card


Embossing over the watercolour background was a great way to make a card that popped.

Frosted gingerbread stampin up watercolour background Christmas holiday card

So which do you prefer the watercolour background all over? Or just peeking througj the stamped image?


No comments:

Post a Comment