Wednesday 30 March 2022

Watercolour Wednesday Count on Me

 Today I'm getting messy... really messy!! But boy did I have fun 🤩 From the start I knew that I would do something fun with the kiwi bird from the Count on Me stamp set. This fun little cutie deserves to be given a big showcase so I decided to use Watercolour Wednesday would be just the right way to go.

But what style of watercolour should I use 🤔 that was the question 🤔 and then suddenly I saw an image of a paint splash and thought wow I want to use that.

The question is how was I going to do it? After lots of thoughts and research I chanced up a video from a fountain pen creative creator. They used ink and a syringe to create a splash. 

So I grabbed a syringe, reinkers, water and cardstock and went into the kitchen. I knew it would get messy so got a clear space a tray and some kitchen paper.  I was also wearing old clothes and glad I did! I would recommend an apron for this job!!!

Here is what my space looked like mid creativity....

Count on me stampin up watercolour splash technique

The colours I chose were bright yellow, bold green, sunny orange and a hot pink. I wanted to bring the beautiful sunny weather we have had into my project 🌞 .

To create the splash effect is simple. Put a drop of water into a container,  I used a bottle cap, then mix in 2 drops of reinker. Now draw up 1ml of air in the syringe then draw a drop or 2 of the water reinker mix.

Now the fun part ! Place your cardstock onto your protected area then aim the syringe and squirt it from above. Practice a few times to see how it works and get the effect you want. 

Here is the link to a short video showing how I do it. https://youtu.be/1w2NBQ4-fGk


Once you've tidied up and your creations are dry it's time to admire your work and decide what to do with them. Below are the pieces I decided to use.

Count on me stampin up fun watercolour splash technique

I knew I wanted to use the quirky little kiwi bird from the Count On Me stamp set so decided to stamp him in black ink randomly all over the backgrounds. 

For the larger piece I made this card.

Count on me stampin up fun watercolour splash technique

I also used an eclipse technique for the sentiment.  I  die cut the words from the background.  The dies I used also come with a shadow die for the words called Amazing Thanks they are a lovely set to play with.

Amazing thanks stampin up dies

So for my next 2 cards I decided to use some pattern paper and texture along with the backgrounds.

The first one uses bold black and white stipes to add a dramatic look. The white mat has been embossed with a strips folder.

Count on me stampin up fun watercolour splash technique

The second card uses a piece of black with a fine white spot on it paper and a splash texture embossing folder on the white panel. 
 
Count on me stampin up fun watercolour splash technique

The sentiments on both cards are heat embossed in white onto black cardstock. When heat embossing onto cardstock,  especially darker colours, make sure to use an anti static bag. This handy little tool helps eliminate all those random flecks of powder settling and ending up spoiling your project.

So that is what I did with my messy creative time. I love the bright bold look of these fun cards.  The strong colours highlighted with the black make for quite the statement 😀

Count on me stampin up fun watercolour splash technique card


No comments:

Post a Comment